Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
23 Nov 2014, 08:09:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
* Home Help Search Login Register
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Sports Discussions  |  Cycling  |  Topic: Avanti or Specialized ?
Pages: [1] 2  All Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Avanti or Specialized ?  (Read 4727 times)
Big Col

[-] Avanti or Specialized ?
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:35:18 pm »

Just looking on line at the Specialized Tarmac Elite Apex or Avanti Cadent 1.0
Haven't been on a bike for some years  Undecided

Start of line Carbon at 3 k ?
Preferences ?

Thinking about Challenge Wanaka.

Cheers
uk_exile

[-] Re: Avanti or Specialized ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:56:08 pm »

I looked at Cadent last year as there was a specail Tour de France version with 105 for $2500. Ended up getting a Giant TCR Advanced 1 with full Ultegra at end of season, 40% off so $3000. Might still be some around ? Worth a look or perhaps consider the 2011 TCR's
Luffy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2011, 08:51:30 pm »

Interesting to choose between a Tarmac and a Cadent. The tarmac is the "race geometry" - steep and agressive, where as the Cadent is more endurance geometry orientated. The head tube on the Cadent is slightly higher and the rear end has a differently designed rear triangle to absorb more road vibrations etc. So for Challenge Wanaka you could be spending heeeaps of time on the bike so i would go to Cadent, but bike fit would be a must!!!
Big Col

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:22:40 pm »

Thanks for the input, thats the sort of thing a non cyclist doesn't know.

Cheers
mafb

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:27:13 am »

I agree go for the endurance set up every time if you are considering wanaka and similar events. I changed from a Giant TCR to a Specilized Roubaix after the altered C2C race in 2010 as 205km is to long to spend on a TCR and expect to run and paddle as well. The reduction in vibration and riding position help with the bike/run transition and in longer rides help maintain a good pace. Both bike were correctly fitted so the difference is in the construction style
show pony
Virtual Elite

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:21:44 am »

Col, I think you should ask yourself what you really want to do with this bike over the long term.  Whatever the answer to that question is, buy a bike or frame designed for the purpose.
Big Col

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2011, 09:15:42 pm »

Thanks; if I do it, it will be for half to full Ironman.
I have done a half Ironman many moons ago  Wink

I see our local store has 50 % of all Merida bikes.
Do they do a carbon frame ? Anyone know whats the quality is like ?
Dabbler

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2011, 10:01:26 pm »

If you're not looking for a full tri/TT bike right away then a Giant Defy Advanced (relaxed-endurance geometry like Cadent or Roubaix) or Giant TCR Composite (race geometry) would be worth a look too as both are full carbon and have pretty good starting price tags ($3400 for Defy and $2500 for TCR).

Both Giants have more aero-shaped tubes than many current road bikes out there (inc the Specy Tarmac?), and have the new 105 or Ultegra front gear cables under handlebar tape which would be good if you end up adding some clip-on aero bars for Challenge Wanaka/IM.

A Defy (or other endurance geometry bike) doesn't mean you can't move the seat forward, lower the stem if needed, and add clip-on aero bars...  I did this with a Giant OCR (older version of Defy's) for a year or so for local TT rides and a couple of short MS events before buying a Tri/TT bike.  It's definitely a bit of a compromise, but still leaves you with a good road bike for general riding, and a good shop will be able to help you get the right sized frame/stem etc to allow it to be ridden in a normal road as well as semi-TT position.
AlBushman

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2011, 04:06:35 pm »

Of these two brands I'd stick with Speshy as Avanti has been known for frame failures amongst a high profile team, though there's only one Speshy dealer in ChCh which is CRC in Riccarton.  I have a Speshy and I love it, but an alternative brand I've recently discovered through my wife buying a bike is Scott. Once you've decided what model you want you really need to shop around. I got one outside ChCh that was $1500 less than the best deal I could get here. That shop was in the North Island, but I've been very impressed with their service to date.
uk_exile

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:23:01 am »

Certainly shop around and after colour  Wink and setup consider both price and after sales service. Most of the non boutique brand frames are made in same factories anyway so build quaility is similar. Everyone gets treated different but based on my after sales expereince I'm never shopping at CRC again. Great sales talk, shite post sale backup. R&R across the road get my $ now.
AlBushman

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:50:24 am »

Certainly shop around and after colour  Wink and setup consider both price and after sales service. Most of the non boutique brand frames are made in same factories anyway so build quaility is similar. Everyone gets treated different but based on my after sales expereince I'm never shopping at CRC again. Great sales talk, shite post sale backup. R&R across the road get my $ now.

I don't give a toss about after sales service personally. I mean what is this exactly? Do people expect the red carpet to be laid out in front of them every time they visit the bike shop they purchased their bike from as eternal gratitude for choosing to shop there? Sure, get the 2 free post-purchase services and that's about it, but at the end of the day all this is is tweaking of the cables for stretch - something any monkey could do for free anyway.

I go to one bike shop for all my servicing (Basic Bikes Colombo St). Where I buy my bike is purely based on who will give me the best deal. Money talks, bullshit walks. If there are two shops that sell the same bike, and shop A gives me the best deal, but I prefer shop B, then I will give shop B the opportunity to come close to Shop A's price and if they can't then Shop A it is.

CRC are the only authorised Speshy dealer in ChCh now (to the best of my knowledge) so they're your only option for that brand, but that doesn't stop you from contacting shops in say Welly or Auk for a better deal. In my case the difference was $1500 for buying a bike from the NI vs getting the best price for buying the same bike from my LBS in ChCh.  I like my LBS, but not so much that I'm willing to part with $1500 for the privilege of dealing locally.
uk_exile

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:34:46 pm »

I agree as I use www when appropriate & have brought whole bikes from QT rather than Chch when price was right. Some brands give nationwide warrantys so that makes it even easier to shop around.

The poor CRC post sale service I expereinced wasn't them not sucking up to me forever. It was having to argue to get noisy bottom bracket faced & one hydraulic brake bleed within first 2wks of getting new $4k MTB. Becasue of that I will never shop there & don't mind telling others about their BS.

ST

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:08:48 pm »

Always shop around, there's a deal out their somewhere. I live in Chch but buy all my bikes from out of town, due to the fact I can get a better deal. I also don't care about after sales service, but theres a number of bike shops in Chch that could do well to take a look at themselves in the mirror when it comes to creating customer loyalty.
cyclenutnz
Virtual Elite

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:50:18 pm »

“Endurance” geometry is an appealing concept, but it doesn’t make the difference that many believe.

As an example, if I were looking at a Spec Tarmac (a possibility) vs an Avanti Cadent (unlikely) the differences would be:
1cm longer stem on the Cadent with a more setback seatpost to make up for steeper seat angle.
More weight on the front wheel of the Cadent and only 4mm longer wheelbase. Along with less steering trail these factors make it likely to be less stable with regard to handling.

This comparison holds for most brands and most sizes (except very small). “Endurance” or “Plush Racer” frames are not entirely what they’re claimed to be.

Bikes like the Roubaix, Cadent and Defy are good for those who need tall head tubes to get the bars high but apart from that have no compelling advantages over a “race” frame. Some of the more enlightened brands have more than one HT length. Parlee have tall versions of each of their Z5 sizes and Trek offer 3 heights on their Madones. Unfortunately the taller ones are special order here.

If you notice a marked difference between an “endurance” bike and a “racer” of equal technology it is likely that there is a marked difference in your position.

As to the original question. 180km is a long way on a road bike – I’d vote for a TT bike. But if you’re wanting a good general purpose bike that you can also do Wanaka on if you so choose – the Giant TCR Composite starts at 2.5k and the Defy advanced at a similar level. Hard to argue with those pricepoints.

Specialized would be my preference from the original choice though they’re certainly not without breakage issues. Merida own a large chunk of Specialized but their R&D appears to be separate as Merida fall a long behind in several areas.

Connect - Speedtheory  l  Facebook  l  Twitter
AlBushman

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:07:10 pm »

Specialized would be my preference from the original choice though they’re certainly not without breakage issues. Merida own a large chunk of Specialized but their R&D appears to be separate as Merida fall a long behind in several areas.

Yeh, I've only ever owned Speshy, but only because they keep breaking and I keep on being given a newer more bling model. I've found Specialized to be excellent in honouring warranty claims and for this reason I'll probably stick with them. I like the Tarmac geo too as it seems to suit me.  Merida = yuk.
Pages: [1] 2  All Send this topic Print 
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Sports Discussions  |  Cycling  |  Topic: Avanti or Specialized ?
Jump to: