Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
26 Nov 2014, 07:20:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
* Home Help Search Login Register
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Sports Discussions  |  Triathlon & Ironman  |  Topic: minor tear in wetsuit - how to fix?
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: minor tear in wetsuit - how to fix?  (Read 2581 times)
Ally Bally Bee

[-] minor tear in wetsuit - how to fix?
« on: 07 Jan 2009, 02:10:57 pm »

I appear to have got one of my nails dug into my new wetsuit while squeezing into it and as a consequence there is a 5m surface tear (though it could go all the way through with enough encouragement).

Any tips on how to do a DIY fix before it gets too bad?

It's right on the abdomen area so is in a spot where the suit will get stretched.
Little Iron Dude

[-] Re: minor tear in wetsuit - how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2009, 03:42:15 pm »

Use puncture repair kit glue (vulcanising rubber cement). And check the blue seventy website - it has a good series of instructions on fixing finger nail tears in your wetsuit. Under FAQ, I think.
Little Iron Dude

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

show pony
Virtual Elite

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2009, 04:28:45 pm »

I appear to have got one of my nails dug into my new wetsuit while squeezing into it and as a consequence there is a 5m surface tear (though it could go all the way through with enough encouragement).

Any tips on how to do a DIY fix before it gets too bad?

It's right on the abdomen area so is in a spot where the suit will get stretched.

5m is a long tear, you must be a giant  Wink

Sorry I don't have anything to add other than my own wetsuit looks like a cheese grater, and it stills goes ok...not optimal, but not the end of the world either.
bigfella3

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2009, 07:55:02 am »

Superglue worked on mine - one drop will hold an elephant.  heheh, my tear was near the crutch.  Anyway...held it down for ten seconds - voila!
Kaimai Kat

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2009, 08:29:20 am »

Selleys Kwik Grip work a treat on my suit...same glue as the tube repair kits.

bluefox_13

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2009, 09:15:17 am »

or if you want to fix it properly..... Then get some proper neoprene glue from a dive shop... Wildblue or oceanhunter in Auckland both have one that is produced by the wetsuit company Picasso, comes in a black tube with red writing on it as far as I remember.... We use it for fixing tears in spearfishing and paua diving wetsuits.... Its slightly flexible which helps as less flaxible glues will hold the tear together but then cause extra strain to go on the surrounding wetsuit material and a new tear can form more easily right at the edge of the glued area.

When you use it, try to put one coat on and keep the edges apart overnight, and then apply another coat and stick them together, seems to make a much better repair that way that lasts and moves much better....
bigfella3

« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2009, 05:17:11 pm »

1. Carefully cut around the tear with a pair of scissors.
2. Holding onto the torn part, discard the rest of the wetsuit.
3. Glue torn part onto new wetsuit.

Now you have a waterproof wetsuit!

<Sigh>.  I'm bored.  Feel like a long ride but not allowed.
bluefox_13

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2009, 02:12:53 pm »

Now you have a waterproof wetsuit!

<Sigh>.  I'm bored.  Feel like a long ride but not allowed.

Waterproof wetsuit? No such thing. The entire point of a wetsuit is to let a small amount of water in adn hold it there....
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Sports Discussions  |  Triathlon & Ironman  |  Topic: minor tear in wetsuit - how to fix?
Jump to: