Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
02 Oct 2014, 09:29:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:  
* Home Help Search Login Register
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Other Discussions  |  Training & Injuries  |  Topic: Sports massage-before or after training?
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Sports massage-before or after training?  (Read 2632 times)
part timer

[-] Sports massage-before or after training?
« on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:08:46 pm »

It may be a silly question but here goes. I currently don't train on Fridays or Mondays but do two long runs back to back on the weekends. I am thinking of getting regular massages till my race, (late november) and was wondering if it would make that much of a difference if I got them on the friday instead of the monday after the long runs. Friday would suit me better family wise. I also train midweek but shorter times, nothing over 90mins usually. I am interested in what others have found works best for them. Thanks.
Col

[-] Re: Sports massage-before or after training?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:05:27 pm »

I generally find that after a good hard massage the next day I am as slow as a slow thing. Also directly after a massage I struggle to even make it home ! I usually find for me that if I do a sesh in the morning then have a massage that day and a day off the day after I am raring to go the day after.
MattB

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:07:25 pm »

I am interested in what others have found works best for them.

Keeping my money for more races works. (tongue in cheek)

I've never paid for a massage but will be getting one straight after Heaphy to help recover as best as I can for the next weekend. Wifey didn't even give me one on Sunday after the Dunedin 1/2. I even asked nicely.

See you up there, it will be good fun.

Matt

ps Anyone know of a Good Sports Massuese in Motueka/Nelson that I can make use of after the Heaphy.
naughty40
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:09:26 am »

Glad to hear that you are taking the massage option sesiously - Go for a massage after your heavy sessions.

Sports massage by nature can be invasive on your muscles and actually requires some recovery time. You will often feel lethargic (lymphatic system overload) and the breaking-down of any scar tissue will require and day or two to fully recover from. Plenty of water for a few hours after a massage helps flush toxins etc through.

Use the massage day as a recovery / rest day, but I have been able to get away with a swim session later that day.
michael

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

yes all true i am free if anybody needs me ,mobil 0211562415 ,i race as well  i do on the day and after and before the race so anybody need some help just call .
paddy
Virtual Elite

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2008, 09:51:23 am »

Do you offer sensual massage?
michael

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2008, 12:20:46 pm »

who is this i am a pro
roadiefag

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:13:58 pm »

who is this i am a pro

You're in Paddy!   Grin

It's been a good day for you, elite membership and you found a "pro" all without leaving the desk!
paddy
Virtual Elite

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2008, 01:16:24 pm »

You're in Paddy!   Grin

It's been a good day for you, elite membership and you found a "pro" all without leaving the desk!

The sweet smell of success.....or the ripe smell of a pro.
multisportphysio

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2008, 09:00:47 pm »

sorry to take this back to the initial thread.
the type of massage is important,
I have clients that get massage regularly before and others after.
There is a difference between recovery rubs and pre training rubs, If you are getting massage designed for lymphatic drainage, which must be done very lightly you can train the next day after hydration. if you are getting massage which is deeper and gets into your muscles, perhaps breaking down scar (an arguable point) but feels very deep and concentrates on painful knots within your muscles you will need a days recovery before you can train hard.
Pre training/event massage must be fast and moderate pressure focusing on increasing blood flow, and should be combined with assisted joint stretching you will definitely improve with this type of treatment. I often use this style of treatment for my athletes carrying out multi-day events where they require recovery without effecting the next days racing, they always increase there lead on the opposition on day 3.
It is important your therapist understands your goals and expectations from the treatment they will then be able to advise you how there style of treatment fits your training schedule.
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
Sportzhub Newsgroups  |  Other Discussions  |  Training & Injuries  |  Topic: Sports massage-before or after training?
Jump to: